Julian Finney/Getty Images. Pictured: Marcos Alonzo (left) and Christian Pulisic (right).
Midweek European soccer continues this week with the English Premier League and French Ligue 1 in action. Here’s a snapshot of what we saw over the weekend from these two leagues:
- Arsenal and Manchester United finished in a 0-0 draw, which allowed Manchester City to take a three-point lead a top the Premier League table.
- Leeds upset third-place Leicester, 3-1, on the road, which was its first loss in seven matches.
- Liverpool defeated West Ham, 3-1, on the road, and the Reds subsequently moved into third place.
- Tottenham was missing star striker Harry Kane, and it showed as 17th-place Brighton pulled off a 1-0 upset.
- A huge upset took place in France as last-place Lorient defeated defending champions PSG as +1300 underdogs with a stoppage-time goal to win, 3-2.
- Lille and Lyon took care of business at home, which means they now hold the top two spots in France.
With how busy the European soccer calendar is at the moment, managers might be rotating their squads to rest some players. Therefore, it might be a good idea to wait to place a wager until starting lineups come out prior to kickoff.
You can use these projections to identify early betting value on the opening lines. Plus, follow me in The Action Network App to see any bets I make throughout the week.
Premier League Notes
- Aston Villa vs. West Ham: Both clubs are on the outside looking in at the top four. West Ham had its four-match win streak ended on Sunday by Liverpool, while Aston Villa picked up a much-needed road win over Southampton. The Hammers walked away with a 2-1 victory the last time these two met, despite Aston Villa dominating them in terms of expected goals, 2.72-0.59.
- Tottenham vs. Chelsea: Thursday’s London derby features two clubs heading in different directions. Tottenham has lost two straight matches and is in free fall without star striker Kane. Chelsea, meanwhile, looks revitalized under new manager Thomas Tuchel after its 2-0 win over Burnley on Sunday. The Blues have won three of the last four meetings with Tottenham.
Premier League Injuries
- Arsenal: Bukayo Saka (RM), Alexander Lacazette (ST), Kieran Tierney (RB), Dani Cabellos (CM) are questionable to play against Wolves. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (ST) is out.
- Brighton: Tariq Lamptey (RB) is out against Liverpool. Danny Welbeck (ST) is out questionable.
- Burnley: Ashley Barnes (ST) and Josh Brownhill (CM) are questionable to play against Manchester City. Chris Wood (ST) is out.
- Crystal Palace: James McArthur (CM), Jeffrey Schlupp (LM) and Mamadou Sahko (CB) are out against Newcastle.
- Everton: Fabian Delph (LB) is doubtful to play against Leeds.
- Fulham: Tom Cairney (CAM) is out against Leicester.
- Leeds: Diego Llorente (CB) is out against Leicester.
- Leicester: Jamie Vardy (ST), Wilfred Ndidi (CM), Timothy Castagne (RB), and Dennis Praet (CAM) are out against Fulham.
- Liverpool: Diogo Jota (CF), Virgil van Dijk (CB), Joel Matip (CB) and Joe Gomez (CB) are out against Brighton. Naby Keita (CM) is questionable.
- Manchester City: Kevin de Bruyne (CAM), Sergio Agüero (ST) and Nathan Aké (CB) are out against Burnley.
- Newcastle: Jamaal Lascelles (CB) and Federico Fernandez (CB) are out against Crystal Palace.
- Sheffield United: Sander Berge (CM), Enda Stevens (LB), Jack Robinson (CB) and Jack O’Connell (CB) are out against Manchester City.
- Southampton: Kyle Walker-Peters (RB) Oriol Romeu (CM), Theo Walcott (RM), Ibrahima Diallo (CM) are out against Manchester United. Jannik Vestergaard (CB) is questionable.
- Tottenham: Giovani Lo Celso (CM), Sergio Reguilón (RB), and Harry Kane (ST) are out against Chelsea. Serge Aurier (RB) is questionable.
- West Brom: Grady Diangana (LM) is questionable to play against Sheffield United.
- West Ham: Arthur Masuaku (LB) is out against Aston Villa.
- Wolves: Rayan Aït-Nouri (LWB) and Raúl Jiménez (ST) are out against Arsenal.
Ligue 1 Injury News
- Angers: Rachid Alioui (CM) and Stephane Bahoken (ST) are questionable to play against Reims.
- Bordeaux: Otávio (CDM) is out against Lille.
- Lens: Jonathan Gradit (CB) is questionable to play against Marseille.
- Lille: Burak Yilmaz (ST) is questionable to play against Bordeaux.
- Lorient: Paul Nardi (GK) and Vincent Le Goff (LB) are questionable to play against Rennes. Quentin Boisgard (CM) is out.
- Marseille: Jordan Amavi (LB) is questionable to play against Lens.
- Metz: Opa Nguette (LW) are questionable to play against Montpellier. Aaron Leya Iseka (ST) is out.
- Monaco: Cesc Fàbregas (CM) is questionable to play against Nice. Gelson Martins (RM) and Ruben Aguilar (RB) are out.
- Montpellier: Teji Savanier (CAM) and Jonas Omlin (GK) are out against Metz. Florent Mollett (CM) and Andy Delort (ST) are questionable.
- Nice: Rony Lopes (RW) and Morgan Schneiderlin (CM) are questionable to play against Monaco.
- Nimes: Loïck Landre (CB) is questionable to face PSG.
- PSG: Marquinhos (CB), Keylor Navas (GK), Abdou Diallo (CM), Marco Verratti (CM), and Ander Herrera (CM) are questionable to face Nimes.
- Reims: Moreto Cassamá (CM) is out against Strasbourg. Valon Berisha (CM) is questionable.
- Reims: Arber Zeneli (LM) is questionable to face Angers.
- Saint Etienne: Panagiotis Retsos (CB) is questionable to face Nantes.
- Strasbourg: Jean-Eudes Aholou (CDM) and Mohamed Simakan (CB) is out against Reims.